Monday, April 6, 2009

Moth Mad


To the human eye there are no moths in my closet. I shake my sweaters. I bat them around. Not a single moth flies away with a belly full of sweater. But just cause I can't see them doesn't mean they aren't devouring my clothes. Cause they are. This winter I've had 5 sweater dresses dry cleaned and repaired. The holes are almost always in the same place – back top left right on my shoulder. Course sometimes there are two holes. Bottom right corner near my hip. And this morning it happened again. A favourite cropped grey knit sweater showed signs of moth. But this time it was beyond repair.

It boils my blood cause I curate my closet with fashion precision. I've had some pieces for up to five years. And out of nowhere moths come by and eat it all up. I've tried fighting back with moth balls but they obviously aren't working. The University of California says:

Clothes moths can be controlled by a variety of methods, including periodic dry cleaning or laundering, proper storage, freezing, heating, or fumigating with dry ice, trapping, or using an insecticide.

Maybe I should just store my clothes in the fridge.