Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lay Off The Pies


This week I heard that Gordon Ramsey will be taking over one of my favourite Montreal restaurants - Laurier BBQ. To say I am angry is an understatement. I am mortified and scared. Laurier is a mainstay in my family's repertoire of eating out. We've been going there since we were kids. Nobody in the city can do a BBQ chicken like they do. They have this amazing vinaigrette, this incredible hot chicken sandwich with peas and gravy, and their pies, all of their pies from chocolate to lemon are out of this world. Laurier is a pricier resto, but every time we eat there we all agree that every bit beats St. Hubert. Why Gordon Ramsey has to meddle with French Canadian perfection is beyond me. What can this British maniac add to an authentic Quebecois Rotisserie that isn't already amazing? My Dad hopes he fixes the crispy fries. Rich wonders how the old French waitresses will deal. I just hope he doesn't drive the whole place into the ground. The last thing any city needs is more posh food on stark white plates. We love our comfort food, our honest to goodness BBQ chickens and chocolate cream pies with homemade whipped cream. So back off Ramsey...back off.