Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stunning Stunt

If you had told me in school that as part of my job I would be orchestrating a synchronized swimming performance...I just wouldn't have believed it.

When ING DIRECT asked us to come up with a stunt to help promote their new chequing account, we went for broke. What's wackier or more celebratory than a synchronized swimming routine in a fountain?? I knew I would love to see that.

At 12:40 yesterday, two unmarked vans pulled up to Berczy park. A troupe of dancers clad in orange bathing suits rushed out just as the music kicked off. What followed was a stunning, toe-tapping performance right in the park's fountain. The dancers gave it their all. Within moments, a crowd gathered. Kids were clapping. I for one couldn't help but cheer (this is what it must feel like to be a parent watching a child's recital).

And just like that it was over. The music stopped, the girls posed on the fountain's ledge and the crowd erupted. For me this was one of the best moments in my career. Making websites is fun, but getting people up and cheering, well it was awesome.