Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New Favourite Resto


I've been craving shnitzel all week. Even typing the word schnitzel make me want it. What can I say, I love the crunchy, buttery, deliciousness that is chicken schnitzel and nobody makes it as tasty as the Poles. No I haven't been to Germany, but I have been down to Roncesvalle and enjoyed my share of schnitzel and I'm a believer.

This weekend Rich treated me to a pure Polish lunch at Polonez - a true Polish home style establishment, maybe the last of it's kind along the Ronce strip. I was expecting a fine lunch at an ok place, but to my surprise Polonez was incredible. The decor was alright. Not too outdated. Very clean. The staff were lovey and sweet. But it was the food that totally won me over. We started with boiled potato and cheddar perogies. Delish (could have been a bit more sour cream on the side). Then we shared schnitzel with mushrooms. The portion was huge. The chicken was thin and crunchy and the salads were great - coleslaw, beets and boiled carrots. I couldn't have dreamed up a better lunch. No, this was not gourmet dining, it was mom's cooking at it's best. No fancy plating or airy foam, just honest prepared with love cooking. Needless to say, this is my new favourite place.